Friday, February 12, 2021

Genesis 29:31-30:24 Jacob's Children

 Genesis 29:31-30:24 Jacob's Children



Read Genesis 29:31-30:24 Here

Genesis 29:31

When the LORD saw that Leah was not loved, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren.


Leah’s  first son:

Reuben

“It is because the LORD has seen my misery. Surely my husband will love me now.”


Leah’s second son:

Simeon

“Because the LORD heard that I am not loved, he gave me this one too.” 


Leah’s third son:

Levi

“Now at last my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” 


Leah’s fourth son:

Judah

“This time I will praise the LORD.” 


The chapter ends with a simple statement than she stopped having children


The next chapter started with the jealousy of Rachel. 


Genesis 30:1

When Rachel saw that she was not bearing Jacob any children, she became jealous of her sister. So she said to Jacob, “Give me children, or I’ll die!”


Somehow she felt Jacob had any control over this. 


Jacob became angry and then Rachel did as Jacob's grandmother Sarah did, she gave Jacob her maidservant (Bilhah)  to have children. 


Bilhah’s first son (Words are from Rachel)

Dan

“God has vindicated me; he has listened to my plea and given me a son.” 


Bilhah’s second son (Words are from Rachel)

Naphtali

“I have had a great struggle with my sister, and I have won.” 


When Leah knew that she was not having children she also gave her maidservant (Zipah) to Jacob. 


Zipah’s first son (Words are from Leah)

Gad

“What good fortune!” 


Zipah’s second son (Words are from Leah)

Asher

“How happy I am! The women will call me happy.” 


Leah's fifth son

Issachar

“God has rewarded me for giving my maidservant to my husband.” 


Leah's fifth son

Zebulun

“God has presented me with a precious gift. This time my husband will treat me with honor, because I have borne him six sons.” 


Leah's first daughter 

Dinah


Finally God allowed Rachel to become pregnant. 


Rachel’s first son

Joseph

“God has taken away my disgrace.” 




No comments:

Post a Comment