Friday, January 11, 2019

Day 11: Girls Devo


Day 11 - Genesis 24:39-44

WORD: Drink

Female characters 
Rebekah

Genesis 24:39-44
I said to my master, ‘Suppose the woman does not follow me.’ He said to me, ‘The Lord, before whom I have walked, will send His angel with you to make your journey successful, and you will take a wife for my son from my relatives and from my father’s house; then you will be free from my oath, when you come to my relatives; and if they do not give her to you, you will be free from my oath.’ “So I came today to the spring, and said, ‘O Lord, the God of my master Abraham, if now You will make my journey on which I go successful; behold, I am standing by the spring, and may it be that the maiden who comes out to draw, and to whom I say, “Please let me drink a little water from your jar”; and she will say to me, “You drink, and I will draw for your camels also”; let her be the woman whom the Lord has appointed for my master’s son.’

Additional Reading:
Genesis 24:45-51
“Before I finished praying in my heart, Rebekah came out, with her jar on her shoulder. She went down to the spring and drew water, and I said to her, ‘Please give me a drink.’ “She quickly lowered her jar from her shoulder and said, ‘Drink, and I’ll water your camels too.’ So I drank, and she watered the camels also.“I asked her, ‘Whose daughter are you?’ “She said, ‘The daughter of Bethuel son of Nahor, whom Milcah bore to him.’ “Then I put the ring in her nose and the bracelets on her arms, and I bowed down and worshiped the Lord. I praised the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who had led me on the right road to get the granddaughter of my master’s brother for his son. Now if you will show kindness and faithfulness to my master, tell me; and if not, tell me, so I may know which way to turn.” Laban and Bethuel answered, “This is from the Lord; we can say nothing to you one way or the other. Here is Rebekah; take her and go, and let her become the wife of your master’s son, as the Lord has directed.”

Observations
So Sarah had Isaac just as God had said she would.  She died and Abraham wanted to make sure Isaac had the proper wife.  He made an oath with his servant to find him a wife for his land.  Oh of this would not be acceptable here in the USA in 2019.  I find it interesting that Rebekah so quickly lowered her jar and offered to water his camels too.  Rebekah was to be part of the line of Jesus.  The promise was give to Abraham and Sarah but also to their generations to follow.  

Ponder this
Are you quick to do what the Lord is asking?  Are you in tune enough to know what the Lord is asking you to do?  Do you trust the Lord to do what he says he will?  Do you have enough patience to wait on the Lord?  

Just for fun
Use a facial mask


No comments:

Post a Comment