Thursday, January 10, 2019

Day 10: Girls Devo


Day 10 - Genesis 24:1-9

WORD: Promise

Female characters 
Sarah

Genesis 24:1-9

Now Abraham was old, advanced in age; and the Lord had blessed Abraham in every way. Abraham said to his servant, the oldest of his household, who had charge of all that he owned, “Please place your hand under my thigh, and I will make you swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and the God of earth, that you shall not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I live, but you will go to my country and to my relatives, and take a wife for my son Isaac.” The servant said to him, “Suppose the woman is not willing to follow me to this land; should I take your son back to the land from where you came?” Then Abraham said to him, “Beware that you do not take my son back there! The Lord, the God of heaven, who took me from my father’s house and from the land of my birth, and who spoke to me and who swore to me, saying, ‘To your descendants I will give this land,’ He will send His angel before you, and you will take a wife for my son from there. But if the woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be free from this my oath; only do not take my son back there.” So the servant placed his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and swore to him concerning this matter.

Additional Reading:
Genesis 17:16-22
I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.” Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?” And Abraham said to God, “If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!”Then God said, “Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year.” When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went up from him.

Observations
I am telling people that I know that God has a good sense of humor.  He has shown me this sense of humor many times.  If God gives a promise he will do it.  Abraham was old but God made Sarah and him a promise that they would be the father and mother of nations.  Abraham and Sarah did not trust the Lord and his promise and took things in their own hands and Ishmael was born to his maidservant.  When he and Sarah waited Isaac was born when humanly it did not seem possible.  Sarah was blessed greatly.  Sarah did have a son, Isaac. Sarah was the mother of nations.  King including Jesus did come from her.  

Ponder this
Are you standing on God's promises?  Are you trust in Him or are you taking things into you own hands?  Are you letting the world tell you the way things should be?  When was the last time you show something happen in your life that only God could explain?

Just for fun
Get all dressed up for no reason

No comments:

Post a Comment